Tuesday, October 13, 2009

Buying Local

While at the neighborhood community garden one day with my Little Guy, I watched a truck pull up and a few people unload produce boxes. Curiosity got the best of me and I wanted to know where the produce was from, how often it was delivered, etc. I learned that Charlotte, the name of the woman driving the truck was a local farmer at Riverview Farms and brought fresh organic produce to the garden as part of the CSA (Community Support Agriculture) program. You are suppose to subscribe for a 10 week period but I had to buy mine a la carte since I wasn't in the know. The veggies are picked the day before - how awesome is that. Now the tricky part is you don't know what you are getting but it was fun to open up the box and in some cases try to identify the vegetable or plan a menu around it. The kids loved it! I let them wash a few of the vegetables. They were surprised at how dirty they were but I explained that they had just been picked. Both were eager to munch an apple down as soon as they could. There were more veggies than this, I just wanted to give you a snapshot.



1 comment:

Jada said...

Wow they look so fresh!The kids are too cute!